In this issue of Website Builder news:
- How your content is delivered around the world more quickly
- WordPress Vulnerabilities
- Recent Upgrades
- $2000 donated to Oxfam for the Nepal Earthquake Response
- Hosting plan allowance upgrades
- Need training?
- Clearing your browser cache
- Professional web design options
- Getting Found On Google
- Better Broadband
- 0800 telephone numbers
- 20% discounts on hosting
- Start your own business - reseller options
- Cool links/system links
- Websites of the month
How your content is delivered around the world more quickly.
Lean more about how we provide high speed web hosting to 4 corners of the globe, faster than most other web hosting companies.
And learn how we can quickly reroute traffic to other locations when outages occur at any individual data center, ensuring a greater uptime for our customers.
For those who have wordpress, please complete your platform updates to fix your security vulnerabilities asap.
There have been some serious vulnerabilites found in WordPress in recent weeks.
See a list of recent wordpress vulerabilities
Whereas for those who use websitebuilder to manage their website, you can sleep easy... because all is well as always. :-)
- Popup boxes for editing product additional text areas, is now more intuitive giving a sample of the text before and after saving any changes. There are sometimes so many places where custom text can be inserted, it could takes ages to find the right spot. We hope this change will speed up your day.
- DNS Management area upgraded to make it easier to setup MS Office 365 email service.
- DNS Management area upgraded to make it easier to add Google Verification Code.
- Publishing issues fixed. Some websites had delays on publishing the occassional random change. All changes are now published rapidly to all points of the globe.
$2000 Donated for the Nepal Earthquake Response Fund
Web Widgets Ltd have donated $2000 to oxfam for the Nepal Earthquake Response Fund.
Hosting Plan Allowance Upgrades
We have increased the traffic allowance on our higher hosting plans, and decreased the cost of traffic overage on all plans. Traffic overage only effects about 5% of all our customers.
Need one-on-one Website Builder Training?
If you require personalised training, please contact one of our consultants, who are based all over NZ. Many of our Auckland team can also provide over the phone training at a scheduled time.
We would encourage all customers to get at least one hour of training at the early stages of building their website, and one more review prior to going live, just to give your website that professional critique, and quick tidy up of the rough bits.
Training topics include:
How to use website builder and shopping cart
How to design websites
How to crop and tidy up photos
How to optimise to get your website higher on google and other search engines
How to setup a facebook page, or other social media account
How to send newsletters
How to use any other feature we offer.
Book personalised training here
Clearing your Browser Cache and Publishing
Caching speeds up your computer, but it also causes confusion when viewing changes to your website. Every web master needs to become familiar with this concept. Almost a third of all our support tickets relate to mis understandings about caching. We can't change the nature of the internet, we only educate.
- Pressing publish button is neccesary even before you go live. Pressing the publish button allows you to navigate your trial website. When you navigate your trial website, you are actually navigating the published pages in many cases. Only the first page to preview in preview mode usually shows your recent changes.
- Your web browser is not aware that you are currently editing your website. The web browser does not undersstand any connection between our website builder CMS, and your website with a completely different URL. You typically need to press REFRESH on your browser to see recent updates. Or you may even need to clear your browser cache.
Learn more about Clearing your browser cache
Professional Web Design Services and Training
If you require training or professional help getting started with your website, please review their portfolios, specials etc and contact a local consultant. We have authorised all our resellers and design consultants to engage with you directly, and bill you directly for their time.
You can see all the available consultants at the following link from all across NZ.
Getting Found On Google
- A website to begin with, is like a new shop down a dark alleyway, that no one knows about. Google wont know about your page until you tell google about it either.
- First you need some links to your website.
- You can get a link from our customer directory in the SEO tab inside website builder.
- You can submit your URL to google in the same place
- You should add your URL to any other online business directory you can find
- Ask your suppliers to list you on their outlets page.
- Ask bloggers to blog about you.
- It can take a few weeks or even a few months for google to find you, and then once they have, the focus is on keywords and ranking.
- Every page of your website should be optimised for a different "key phrase". A keyphrase is a combination of 2-5 words that describes your business, product or service in some way. eg "red running shoes" or "grey lynn bed and breakfast"
- Don't put the same phrase on every page, the trick is to use different phrases on different pages. This way, google will take users to the right page for the right phrase. This is proven to be much more effective that trying to put all phrases on one page. These pages are referred to as "landing pages" being the first page a searcher will land on. From there, they may continue to your about us page, contact us page or shopping cart page.
- In the SEO tab you can quickly optimise lots of pages, categories, blogs and products. You should focus your biggest effort on the meta title and the SEO filename. get your keyphrases into both of those... The SEO filename is the green URL part of the google search results. The SEO meta title is the search result title for your page... So these are very powerful ways to signal to google what page is most relevant for a phrase.
- Geography is important. Google doesn't make sense of phrases like "nationwide" or "everywhere". But google really cares about suburbs, towns and cities. So if your business is targeted at a gepgraphical region, please be specific. You might even include surrounding suburbs for accommodation or a cafe... However, if you are selling bouncy castles, it's probably more suited to a city or region name. For online sales, geography is not so improtant, but saying you are from NZ is. Google also doesn't relate your contact us page to the rest of your website, so if geography is important, it should be in the first paragraph of any relevant landing page.
- Often google shows results including your phone number and address that may be out of date. You can update your details here: http://www.google.com/business/
Learn more about SEO here
We have teamed up with the awesome 2talk team to offer you some great broadband options. If you have become disgruntled with your current isp, now is the time to get a great bundled broadband offering.
0800 Numbers and Cheaper Tolls
Do you need an 0800 number for your business? We think 2talk provide a really awesome service, and it's who we use. For example, you have an 0800 number call your landline first, then your mobile, then your 2IC's mobile to ensure that somone will take the call. Their rates are cheap, and all the value added services can be managed via a web page control panel, so you don't need to wait on hold for any call centers. You can manage your lines fully yourself.
Receive a 20% discount off your web hosting, for life, by referring a friend
Did you know that if you refer a friend to use our awesome website builder service, you get a 20% discount off your hosting? If you refer 5 friends, then you will essentially get your web hosting for free! Not only that, but your friends will also get their 2nd month web hosting absolutely free. That's a nice little encouragement for them to check our service out and gives us the opportunity to setup your discount. Both discounts apply for your 2nd and subsequent websites also. It doesn't matter if it is yours, a friend, family or a stranger. Discounts begin once both websites are live. Please make sure you or your friend communicates the referral at the earliest opportunity.
More information about affiliates here
We have an awesome new offer for web designers and awesome business networkers. We can setup any web designer who is interested with all they need to get started as a web designer at no cost:
- There are no setup fees, no contracts to sign.
- You will earn $2+ on every domain name sold (based on RRP $19 per year).
- You will earn (20%-50%) commission on hosting
- You can manage all your customers content, domains, emails etc, easily from just 1 login.
- We take care of all the billing arrangements, so no administrative hassle.
If you know of anyone who might be interested, point them at our reseller page. We'll offer a $100 finders fee commission for any existing customer who finds us a new reseller who set's up 3+ live websites. Offer expires 28th Feb 2014.
More information on reselling here
Need Help! is at hand...
There are several places you can find answers to questions about how to build your website and add features (which, there are a lot of) and its free for you to look:
If you can't find the answer you need - then get professional help
Contact - Web Designers or lodge a Support ticket
In 99% of cases the answer to a problem is covered in one (or more) of these places. We always fix bugs fast, with all the users we have we get notified very fast of any real bug - they are not common, so if you are having an issue operating the CMS consider some online training with us - you'll always take something away worth value. In all other cases we are happy to do anything you are having trouble doing yourself for a small fee starting from $20 for 10 minutes.
All those links and more at our new toolbox page: More Toolbox / Links
Websites of the month
Here's a selection of some of our recent Go Lives.
And view more examples of websites powered by website builder
Please contact us for more information.
From the Team @ Web Widgets Ltd - Free Website Builder